Sonia is a New Zealand qualified solicitor with experience advising contractors, subcontractors, government agencies and employers in both contentious and non-contentious construction issues.
Sonia’s experience in contentious matters across both the UK and New Zealand has included representing clients in mediation, arbitration, adjudication, and court proceedings. She has also advised clients on project advisory matters, as well as providing non-contentious advice on contract negotiation and drafting.
Examples of Sonia's expertise include:
- acting for an EPC Contractor on separate ICC arbitration and TCC court proceedings involving energy-from-waste plants in the UK, with claims collectively in the region of £400 million;
- acting for a civil contractor on a marina project in international arbitration proceedings subject to New Zealand law, involving various issues including dredging and surveying methodology, and delay and disruption claims;
- providing ongoing project advice to a main contractor on an infrastructure upgrade to an Air Force Base in New Zealand, in respect of disputes with a key subcontractor including delay and disruption and variation claims;
- acting for main contractors and government agencies in various adjudication proceedings in New Zealand, concerning a range of matters covering final account disputes, delay and disruption claims, and variation and contra-charge claims;
- acting for a main contractor and individuals defending a private prosecution for fraud arising in respect of payment claims made during a construction project, appearing in the New Zealand High Court and Court of Appeal, and successfully seeking leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of New Zealand;
- assisting New Zealand contractors, subcontractors and employers draft and negotiate construction contracts (including EPC turnkey, design and build, and build only contracts) for a wide range of construction projects covering hospitals, food processing plants, demolition works, port redevelopments, and school and university buildings;
- acting for a main contractor in New Zealand High Court Proceedings, defending a defective building claim in the region of $25 million.
Other activities and memberships
- member of the New Zealand Law Society.