Aleem specialises in international dispute resolution, focusing on constructing and engineering disputes as well as other areas of commercial practice. He has been involved with litigation and arbitration in multiple jurisdictions, including England & Wales, the Sultanate of Oman, the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan, where he is also registered as an Advocate of the High Court.
Aleem advises and acts for both private and government clients in the international market across a range of industry sectors, including oil and gas, power, water treatment, infrastructure works and large-scale residential developments.
Examples of Aleem’s expertise include:
- counsel in an English-Law DIFC arbitration concerning the supply of armoured vehicles from the UAE to Iraq;
- acting for a joint-venture in an ICC arbitration concerning a high-profile metro project in the Middle-East;
- counsel for an international contractor in proceedings before the Islamabad High Court (Pakistan) for the recognition and enforcement of an interim award under the New York Convention;
- acting for a Chinese international contractor in two ICC arbitrations (consolidated under ICC Rules) in relation to a motorway project in Pakistan, with delay, disruption, late design in issue. Amount in dispute USD30m;
- counsel for the contractor in a high-value DIAC arbitration relating to the construction of a 5-star hotel in Dubai;
- advising a Kuwaiti real estate developer in connection with ADCCAC arbitration proceedings concerning a stalled residential development in Abu Dhabi;
- advising an international contractor in connection with a dispute relating to the design and construction of a large-scale development in Qatar;
- counsel for the contractor in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration concerning a fit-out and interior design of a VIP penthouse in Abu Dhabi;
- advising a UAE-based contractor in connection with a suite of disputes concerning the design and construction of a high-rise building complex in Dubai;
- appointed secretary to the tribunal in several international arbitrations;
- delivering a lecture to the Islamabad Bar Association on aspects of international arbitration practice in Pakistan
- advising on the recognition and enforcement of an ICC arbitration award in Pakistan;
- acting for an international EPC contractor in TCC proceedings against a state-owned corporation in a high-value dispute arising out of the termination of a bespoke EPC contract relating to the world’s largest single stream LDPE plant;
- defending a top GCC-based steel producer in a US $56 million cross-border shareholder action;
- representing an Omani public utility in parallel arbitration proceedings arising from the constructing, engineering and operation of mobile water desalination plant in Oman;
- advising an international syndicate of 20 reinsurers in relation to a US$100m subrogated recovery claim (among the largest in the GCC-region);
- representing a group of individuals in high-profile corruption investigations and trials relating to the oil, gas and construction industries in Oman;
- representing a group of depositors in judicial review proceedings before the Pakistani courts arising from the collapse of a prominent foreign exchange company under investigation for fraud, money-laundering and tax evasion.
Aleem's memberships include:
- Member of the Society of Construction Law;
- Hon. Society of Gray’s Inn;
- British Institute for International and Comparative Law;
- Islamabad District & High Court Bar Associations, Pakistan.