Marc worked as a construction manager and building surveyor with a city-based surveying company before moving into law. Since qualifying Marc has specialised in construction- and engineering-related disputes and has significant experience in avoiding and resolving claims on a wide range of domestic and international projects, including major road, rail and tunnelling projects, wind farms, commercial and industrial schemes, and high-end residential developments.
In addition to handling disputes, Marc also has experience of negotiating and advising on domestic and international construction and engineering contracts and associated documentation; including consultants appointments, framework agreements, bonds, guarantees and warranties.
Marc has particular experience in the management and resolution of disputes though litigation in the Technology and Construction Court in London, domestic and international arbitration, as well as alternative dispute resolution processes such as adjudication, mediation and expert determination.
Examples of Marc’s expertise include:
- acting for an Austrian civil engineering contractor in Dispute Adjudication Board and ICC arbitration proceedings relating to a dispute on a project for the rehabilitation and renewal of an Eastern European railway;
- acting for a Greek contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings in relation to a project in Easter Europe for the upgrading of an existing water supply system, including the rehabilitation of wells and reservoirs, the construction of a new pipeline, pumping and chlorination stations. The proceedings included the enforcement of Dispute Adjudication Board decisions;
- advising a European joint venture contractor in relation to the referral of disputes to the Dispute Adjudication Board on a project for the design and construction of a section of motorway with numerous interchanges and bridges in Eastern Europe;
- acting for a specialist glazing contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings relating to the detailed design and installation of a complex glass curtain walling system and its interface with an undulating gridshell roof on a prominent new building in London;
- acting for the owner of a new care home in relation to a TCC dispute concerning the defective design of pile foundations;
- advising a developer in relation to the insolvency of the main contractor and making a claim under a performance bond;
- acting for a developer in relation to a series of adjudications concerning delay and disruption claims on a high end residential project;
- acting for insurers of a de-watering sub-contractor in relation to a series of adjudications arising out of ground collapse on a tunnel project.
Marc’s memberships include:
- member of the Technology and Construction Solicitors’ Association;
- member of the Society of Construction Law.